Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bad Hair Day


I cut my hair. Yes, it was my decision to do it, I put tons of thought into it, did my research, waited a few weeks to see if i was committed to the idea of the "bob" and talked the idea over with my friends.

And then .. I did it.

As I sat in that salon chair wielding the power of my hair into the very capable hands of my friend Stephanie I suppressed my nerves and told myself I wanted this.  Snip after snip she reassured me it would look fresh and hip and would be perfect for summer, I mean how could it not, we were emulating Jennifer Aniston's new hair cut.  Then the final reveal came, cap came off, smiles and a hug were given and I walked to my car, it was there in secret that i fought back the tears that were so ready to fall.  I mean it was just hair, no big deal I said to my self, you are an adult, you made this decision, this is a very silly thing to cry over. But my heart wasn't getting the message, so i did what any girl does on her way home stuck in 405 traffic I called my sister and begged her to reassure me that I looked anything other than what I felt...ugly.  With great patience and a very sympathetic heart she assured me i wasn't ugly, i didn't look 16 (when in fact i did) and that I wouldn't be alone forever as I was hysterically saying between fits of tears.

After being consoled by the roommates when I got home I did what any other young person does nowadays, I put a picture of it on Facebook in the hopes to get me out of the funk.  And they loved it (I have nice friends), they said all the lovely things that friends say when they know you hate something and need to cheer you up.  And then it came by a way of a text message...Perspective.  Would I mind praying for a friend of a friend who had just been a horrible car accident?  Of course I would and I did and that's when I realized who cares about my hair, it will grow back.  It's just a bad haircut, it's not pain, injustice or death, it is not suffering or extreme disappointment, it's not a marriage falling apart or a loss of a child's innocence, it's just hair.  I was humbled.

So remember Perspective is everything, at the end of the day it's just a haircut that will grow out thanks to flaxseed oil and a little biotin.  It's only a bad hair day so dry those tears. ;)


-V xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment