Wednesday, June 15, 2011

roast those beans

Well, the time has finally come.
Hi, my name is Laura and I'm addicted to coffee.
Its not something that I would typically say is a problem, but when you count the many ways that we can create offerings of coffee in our home, you might say that I should seek help. So I did. I went to my local Groundwork Coffee location, purchased a half pound of green coffee beans - Ethiopian, Single Origin, Fair Trade, Organic - for just $3.00 and set to work. I figure that the therapy of roasting my own next cup of espresso would "help" me appreciate it even more. Which I do.

 HIGHLIGHTS:
  • 1 lb of Groundworks Organic Espresso roast: $12.75
  • 1 lb of home roast: $6.00
  • Roasted beans are good for up to 2 weeks.
  • Green beans are good for up to 2 years. 
  • micro roasting makes me feel awesome.
  • My house smells amazing. 

I really enjoyed this mornings roasting process. Listening for the first crack. Sipping my americano while I waited. Skipping breakfast entirely because I was having too much fun.

 First timers should always keep notes. Like how hot my gazillion year old oven really gets when set to "500*".
 Steam and smoke and fast swirling.
Bean color check!
Kind of amazing right?



Now to practice patience while let them rest. I have to wait to share them with my man tomorrow because we are going to see the Civil Wars tonight. Which is even more exciting than roasting my own beans... if you can imagine that.

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment